Monday, July 6, 2009

Remember When

There are a few unforgettable milestones in my life. The ones I speak of are not the ones personal in nature, but, instead, experiences shared with the rest of the world, that I will never, ever get over, completely. You know what I'm talking about...not "the birth of my kids" in nature, but "I remember exactly where I was when..." in nature. I can remember my grandparents saying "I'll never forget where I was when Pearl Harbor was attacked" or "I'll never forget what I was doing when John F. Kennedy was shot".
I will never forget the attacks of 9/11, the space shuttle explosion, John Lennon being killed or even President Reagan's attempted assassination. But as I ponder the biggest milestones of my life, I can't help but think about the "Three Kings" and their deaths.
I have been a huge fan of Elvis Presley, The King of Rock 'n Roll, since I was three years old. I stood right in front of the T.V. at three and watched in pure rapture as Elvis performed his "Aloha from Hawaii" concert. My parents must have been frustrated trying to see around me, as I stood mesmerized by the ultimate performer.
Then came Michael Jackson, The King of Pop, and his never before seen "moonwalk" that "thrilled" me, as much as the generation before had been awed by the actual walk on the moon they watched from their little black and white T.V. sets, a little over a decade before. Everyone I knew watched Michael's "Thriller" video in total disbelief, and just a little fear. This was what the future of music video looked like...and we were privileged to witness it firsthand!
But, sadly, I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when my Grandma came outside and told me Elvis was dead. I felt sick and just a little faint. I sat down and cried, right there in the backyard. I'm still not totally over it! Now, comes the news of Michael Jackson's untimely death. The initial shock and disbelief are starting to fade a bit, but I know I will always remember where I was and how I felt at that moment of receiving the news. I'm also very aware of my own mortality in a more real and scary way than I can ever recall.
There are no happy endings in the stories of these "Kings". Both gone before they ever should have been. We comfort ourselves by wanting to believe, just a little bit, that their deaths are just cruel hoaxes. They aren't. But, the third King. The one I follow. I'll never forget the stories of miracles and healings I heard as a child. I'll never forget reading about how they cruelly beat Him and killed Him. I remember the sadness I felt over this life; this sweet life snuffed out way too young. Then, unlike the first two kings; I remember turning the page...and...He's ALIVE!!! No hoax, no sad ending, no fear of my own mortality. I'm not saddened by the loss of the potential or the things not accomplished. He's ALIVE!!!
I also, more vividly than any other moment of my life, remember the night I gave my heart and life to THE KING, Jesus. My biggest milestone...I'll NEVER get over Him!

4 comments:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes, Eric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good way to put it! Thanks for sharing your thoughts:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked that. I was just telling my husband that while his death seemed untimely to us it wasn't to God, wether or not someone is a Christian God knows their time. For us 50 is too young to die (I can't imagine losing my dad and he is well into his 50's, even at 30 years old) I was saddened by the way it seemed people were worshipping MJ instead of the one true King - one who again, humans feel died to young - but it was with God's purpose to bring glory to Him that His death was glorified.

    Sarah Bailey (I visited your church once, friend of the Vaduva's)
    www.homeschoolblogger.com/OhioSarah
    http://quivermom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe in God, but I have an appreciation for secular thrash metal because if it wasn't for Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax and Slayer, I wouldn't have a career as an author because if I listened to Christian Metal exclusively -- my subject matter would been very limited. The darker and angrier direction -- came from when I was living near Wheaton College. God gave me an understanding and appreciation for art -- written, visual and heavy metal.

    ReplyDelete